Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Joys of Parenthood

This is my daughter's room just 24 hours after I cleaned it.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try.

I've had my sister's kids the past couple of days.  They wanted to play in Hallie's room while I showered because there is more room in there than in Bryant's room.  I told them they could play in there on one condition-- that they didn't get into Hallie's special stuff and if they didn't make a big mess.  Well, thirty minutes later, this is what I found.

I just laughed.  Silly me.  Did I really think I could get away with a peaceful shower and not come out and find an epic disaster?  I shewed them all downstairs for lunch and spent the first thirty minutes of quiet-time re-cleaning Hallie's room.  I should have made them clean it all up, but at the time, that felt like much more trouble than it was worth.  

Although sometimes parenting feels hard and makes me grumpy, each day I am realizing more and more that this is such a short period of this life and it is going to be gone before I know it.  And, someday, when my house is quiet and spotless, and everything is in its place, I am going to miss the sticky finger prints on the fridge and the toys all over the floor, and all of the little kids noises that are in my home today.  That is why I'll just have to laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is so the story of my life. so disheartening, but if you don't laugh, you'll cry. Good for you that you could have perspective and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that's all i can say! why clean?!? :)

    ReplyDelete