Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Yard Work Finished... Check.

Every Spring, I spend a bunch of time (and money... yikes!) pulling weeds, thatching the lawn, fixing up the flower beds and getting the yard ready for summer.  This year I was lucky enough to have a deadline (Bryant's baptism) so it didn't get dragged out into the dog days of summer.
 The elfin thyme has started to grow in nicely, covering the edges of the path, but I decided to add a few flowers to the beds this year between the boxwoods and the grasses.
 The vinca has exploded and for some strange reason is growing upward this year instead of outward.  The twisty locust that we thought was dead is actually alive and well.  It grew a few weird thorny branches during the winter, so we're still a little confused by that, but it actually reminds me of the scriptures and the parable of the olive tree, so I guess that's ok.  Can't hurt to have a reminder the scriptures in the backyard.
The backyard lawn has really struggled since we put it in.  But this year, I think it is finally starting to thrive.
 Mike gave me a gift card for Mother's Day that he earned at work by drinking some nasty juice every day for a few months and letting them poke and prod him to see if it was working.  I decided to spend it at Lowe's on some edging so I don't have to spend as much time ripping the invading grass out of my flower beds.
 I was so sick of the barren wasteland on the north side of the yard, so I finally filled it in.  I LOVE the result-- so much nicer to look at!
 I planted the vegetable garden and covered the flower beds with mulch.
 Yard work done.  Time to put another shrimp on the BarB!

No comments:

Post a Comment